"Morning Briefing: Democrats Take The Stage"
- First Lady Michelle Obama was the first prime time speaker of the Democratic Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina, and her speech is receiving overwhelmingly positive reviews. The evening overall was seen as a success for the Democrats, who hope to build energy around Obama’s re-election campaign, as well as several fierce state-level fights.
– Sen. John Kerry’s (D-MA) speaking slot at the convention is prompting rumors that he might replace Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State, if Obama wins a second term.
– Last night, one of the speakers was a mother named Stacey Lihn. She told the story of how Obamacare will help her daughter, who was born with a congenital heart disease, afford the surgeries that will save her life:
– Lilly Ledbetter, the woman for whom the Ledbetter Fair Pay Act is named, also appeared on the DNC stage last night, where she made the case for achieving pay equity between men and women in the workforce. Here’s a breakdown of how women are affected by lower pay:
– And Finally: According to the folks at Twitter, Michelle Obama’s speech garnered 28,000 tweets a minute — double what Mitt Romney got during the Republican convention last week.