"PHOTOS: 100 Cities Rally For Trayvon Martin"
On Saturday, 100 cities held rallies organized by the National Action Network for Trayvon Martin, where large crowds demanded a federal civil rights investigation into the fatal shooting of the unarmed teen. “Trayvon could have been anyone’s child,” Trayvon’s father, Tracy Martin, said at a rally in Miami. “That’s the message that’s being sent to the world.” Celebrities, lawmakers, and religious leaders also joined the rallies on Saturday, which follow a series of largely peaceful protests since George Zimmerman’s verdict.
One day after President Obama delivered a surprise speech on race, protesters made their own statements against racism and profiling in America.
1. A 6-year-old’s sign in Miami, Florida read “I am not a suspect”:
2. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s Phil Skinner captures a powerful moment:
3. Beyonce and Jay-Z made an appearance with Sybrina Fulton, Trayvon’s mother, and Al Sharpton at the rally in NYC:
4. Outside NYPD in NYC:
5. At the South Carolina State House:
6. In Dallas, Texas:
7. Protesters donned hoodies like the one Trayvon wore:
— Mark Katic (@MarkKWBZ) July 20, 2013