Today’s Top News
For a Thursday in the middle of July, it’s been a busy day. Here’s the good, the bad, and the ugly in today’s goings on.
- Civil rights champion Tom Perez was confirmed to head the Department of Labor.
- Career civil servant and clean air and water champion Gina McCarthy was confirmed to head the Environmental Protection Agency.
- House Republicans caved in their fight against marriage equality.
- New report finds that Obamacare premiums will be even lower than expected.
- Nelson Mandela celebrated his 95th birthday.
- Senators agreed to a compromise plan to lower student loan interest rates.
- A judge issues order keeping some Wisconsin abortion clinics open, for now.
- The media largely ignored the premium drop story and instead focused on dead-end GOP efforts to repeal Obamacare.
- The scandal surrounding Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell (R) continues to grow.
- Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) claims that immigrants really just aren’t that interested in becoming citizens.
- The Treasury Inspector General blocked the IRS from releasing documents showing that progressive groups were targeted.
- The do-nothing House of Representatives will go on vacation for a month and then come back to work for just nine days the next month.
- The GOP says to give suspected terrorists guns, not trials.
- Bill O’Reilly: “I don’t buy” that LGBT people have the right to marry.
- Hours after Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) signed a draconian anti-abortion law, Planned Parenthood announces it will close three abortion clinics.
- House Republicans are advancing terrible education bills.
- Climate change is fueling a rise in deadly diseases.
- The lead paint industry has been knowingly poisoning generations of children.