NOAA: Record N. Hemisphere warmth in 2007

"NOAA: Record N. Hemisphere warmth in 2007"

NOAA’s National Climatic Data Center reports that the Northern Hemisphere year to date (January through October) is the hottest since record-keeping began in 1880.

And NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center forecasts (another) warm winter (duh):

NOAA Climate Prediction Center forecasters remain confident in predicting above average temperatures for much of the country — including southern sections of the Northeast — and below normal precipitation for the southern tier of the nation.

Click on the map to see the details of the forecasts.

map-warming.jpg

10 Responses to NOAA: Record N. Hemisphere warmth in 2007

1. David says:

I assume this is the same NOAA that predicted in May 2007 that the Atlantic would see 7-10 hurricanes this season (there were 5) and 3-5 major hurricanes (there were 2).

And why is a warmer than normal winter supposed to scare me anyway? That just means lower heating bills, more time outdoors, and a longer growing season for my garden. Not exactly the stuff I have nightmares about.

2. Joe says:

I am not interested in scaring you. Alarming you, maybe, but not scaring. Whatever gave you that idea?

3. David says:

Okay, I’ll restate my question. And why is a warmer than normal winter supposed to alarm me anyway? That just means lower heating bills, more time outdoors, and a longer growing season for my garden. Not exactly the stuff I have nightmares about.

4. John McCormick says:

David,

You asked:

[And why is a warmer than normal winter supposed to alarm me anyway?]

Because, David, warmer winters confuse bears and they do not have the signal they need to hibernate. And, we know what that means.

Aside from that David, you might give some more thought to how repeated warmer winters and less snowpack will affect water availability in the Rockies, the Pacific North West and the Southwest. I assume you drink Coors beer so you might want to be concerned about diminished snowpack in the Rockies. Adding in the bear hibernation confusion and you will really have somethings to alarm you.

Then again, you might take time off and do some serious reading about global warming. I suggest you begin with the IPCC reports. They are alarming, in a real sense.

5. David says:

We don’t have bears where I live, so I couldn’t possibly care less about what happens to their hibernation signals. I also don’t drink beer. I would like to say that I don’t care about Coors either, but I’m not 100% sure that none of my mutual funds invest in them, so I might very well care but just don’t know it.

Water availability never has been and never will be a problem where I live either. If anything, we’ve had more water than we know what to do with this year. Our rainfall totals are 10 inches above average and the year isn’t even over yet.

I’ve read the IPCC reports. I find them more amusing than alarming.

By the way, I just love how everyone is completely ignoring the NOAA’s overly pessimistic hurricane forecast from May. I’m sure it’s less challenging to discuss theoretical climate predictions that are supposed to occur decades from now rather than failed climate predictions that have been proven completely wrong.

On that note, it appears that I was wrong about the number of hurricanes this season. I’ve seen some reports saying that there were 6, not 5. The Weather Channel’s website is still reporting only 5. I assume some tropical storm got upgraded after they examined the data. Anyone know which one it was?

6. Joe says:

The IPCC report says we are in course to lose 40% to 70% of the species on this planet, and can’t rule out meter or more sea level rise. Then there is desertification and increased drought.

Not very amusing to me.

The hurricane forecast is not really a climate prediction — indeed, it is made typically by meteorologists right before the hurricane season starts. That said, everyone knows there are multiple factors that affect the hurricane season, so year to year predictions are very hard.

Warm winters mean the bark beetle larvae survive, rather than die, is a major reason why North America has seen such an amazing infestation, so much tree death, and, of course, wildfires. Warm winters also mean less snowfall surviving through the spring, which reduces water availability and humidification in the summer and late fall, which also drives wildfires.

I could easily go on, but what is the point. If you read the IPCC’s recent synthesis report and were amused, rather than alarmed, then I think we do not have much of a basis for mutual discussion. That report was one of the most alarming scientific documents ever released in human history, to me and most readers I know.

7. Dano says:

So some people want to remain ignorant about impacts and environmental refugees.

So what, I say – these type folk don’t have access to societal decision-making processes anyway, and will be left behind unless they adapt their thinking.

Hurry up denialists! Catch up with the rest of the planet! Hurry! Or not. Who cares, I say.

Best,

D

8. Dano, You are right, the skeptics have shut themselves out of the decision making process by denying that a problem exists. They imagine that they are accomplishing something by denying the evidence that global warming is taking place. In fact they are only acting as unpaid shills for EXXON, and diverting useful discussions about policy responses to to global warming. We ought to ignore them. They are clearly insane.

9. Jay Alt says:

David-
    NOAA is pretty good a recording data for forecasts, not necessarily what climatologists need. They are trying to learn to predict hurricane seasons, a very complex job. Has the IPCC made any seasonal hurricane forecasts? No. Those are done by Bill Gray and the Hurricane Center in Miami. Gray denies that global warming exists while Chris Landsea of Miami doesn’t think it currently affects hurricane behavior. It is obviously a false lead to consider their failures as a reflection of global warming theory.

The effect of global warming on hurricane behavior is an open scientific question. And the recent increase in Atlantic hurricanes was given very little weight in the overall scientific picture. What Landsea, Emanuel, Webster and Holland all agree on is that future hurricanes will be more powerful. (But not whether such an increase is already happening.) Perhaps you also find that funny, most people I associate with don’t.

10. Mark says:

Yeah, all this is starting to get to me, especially the folks who drive around in giant SUV’s and ridiculously over sized trucks with large wheels.

Top Ten Signs It’s a Warm Winter