Campaign update: McCain blinks, Debate on, winning strategy below

"Campaign update: McCain blinks, Debate on, winning strategy below"

There is no final deal on the financial bailout, which been a precondition for the GOP nominee showing up in Mississippi tonight. But in the real world of presidential politics, he never had a choice.

I have been blogging elsewhere on how one applies rhetoric to winning one-on-one debates. Next week I will convert some of those posts into a discussion of how rhetoric can apply to winning one-on-one debates on climate and energy. But for those who are interested, here are my pre-debate thoughts:

I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a question on energy tonight. But there simply may not be time, given that this is a foreign-policy debate with a bunch of economy and bail out questions thrown in. Still, I will try to blog tonight on anything energy or climate related that comes up.

9 Responses to Campaign update: McCain blinks, Debate on, winning strategy below

1. paulm says:

Great quote from the Anti-President at the meeting yesterday:

At another point in the meeting, President Bush chimed in, “If money isn’t loosened, this sucker could go down” — and by sucker he meant economy.

At White House, McCain Plays Bailout Spoiler

2. Rick C says:

Yep! It looks like a strategy to prevent the public from discovering what John McCain himself said regarding his knowledge of the economy that its not his strong suit.

3. Joe,
    The observations re: “Smart Talkers” are spot on. I think you were way off base with your “Honesty breeds Honor” suggestion but with this piece you’ve redeemed yourself as a campaign consultant.

4. Robert says:

Obama is odds on favourite to win the election, but do we really think he will do anything significant about climate change once he is in the White House?

How will Climate Progress handle this?

5. hapa says:

yeah really. what does energy have to do with foreign policy. why, they are totally separate / departments of the federal government.

6. paulm says:

On seeing the debate, McCain is a General and Obama the President.

7. rjm says:

How will Climate Progress handle it when the new administration gets exactly nothing done with the global warming issue?

well what can they do? I suspect they will applaud his good intentions being stymied by big ugly government machinery under the powerful and evil weight of industry money.

One possible solution is a revolution! ….. where Obama becomes the absolute ruler for life …… for the sake of the children

8. Jay Alt says:

Lehrer pressed the candidates to tell what they would cut because of financial upheaval. Both chose instead to emphasize their priorities. What was the first thing Obama mentioned?

Obama: ‘But there’s no doubt that we’re not going to be able to do everything that I think needs to be done. There are some things that I think have to be done.’

‘We have to have energy independence, so I’ve put forward a plan to make sure that, in 10 years’ time, we have freed ourselves from dependence on Middle Eastern oil by increasing production at home, but most importantly by starting to invest in alternative energy, solar, wind, biodiesel, making sure that we’re developing the fuel-efficient cars of the future right here in the United States, in Ohio and Michigan, instead of Japan and South Korea.’

9. Jay Alt says:

Joe -
    I was replying to the negative comments above. I assumed Obama’s words would be clear in by standing alone. But since a quick read of my comment could be misinterpreted, I will elaborate.

His reply shows that energy independence is his first and highest PRIORITY.