"Welcome Rolling Stone readers to “America’s fiercest climate-change activist-blogger”"

http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/img/7/3/5/3/26763537.jpgFor any first-time visitors here because of the Rolling Stone special section “RS100: The people who are reinventing America,” this post is intended as an introduction to Climate Progress.

[My apologies to regular CP readers for yet another introductory piece -- and of course, for the tasetless RS cover -- but I've kinda started hangin' with a bad crowd now. And who doesn't like ice cream?]

RS has a list of 100 Agents of Change of which I’m #88 [woo hoo, I beat Joshua Micah Marshall and even Taylor Swift, but why couldn't I have been 2 ranks lower, fulfilling my lifelong dream of being Agent 86?].

The RS tagline for me is

America’s fiercest climate-change activist-blogger lets it rip.

WHAT HE’S CHANGING: Romm, a former official at the Department of Energy, loves to take on global-warming foes on his blog, Climate Progress. A fellow at the Center for American Progress, he attacks dinosaurs like George Will and the false promise of carbon offsets (“rip-offsets,” he calls them) with equal aplomb.

Rip-offsets and Phish in the same magazine — what are the chances? But I have digressed from my introductory purposes.

I am a Senior Fellow at the Washington, DC think-and-act tank run by John Podesta, the Center for American Progress, whose Action Fund sponsors this blog. You can read my full bio at Wikipedia.

I try to inform and entertain here — and be a one-stop-shop for anyone who wants the inside view on climate science, solutions, and politics. A key goal is to save readers’ time, save you from wading through the sea of irrelevant information — or outright disinformation — on climate and energy that pervades the media and blogosphere.

I write from what I call a climate realist perspective — the emerging scientific view that on our current greenhouse gas emissions path we will will destroy the livability of the climate for 1,000 years. Good posts that lay out that case are:

I also spend a lot of time describing the solution(s), having run the federal program that helps develop and deploy virtually all of the key technologies. Fundamentally we have most of the needed technology now (or soon will), and avoiding catastrophe requires only a small fraction of the nation’s and world’s wealth:

And I also spend a lot of time keeping readers up on the politics of energy and climate action:

And then there is the offbeat stuff:

Oh, and peak oil stuff:

And here’s my best written recent post:

I won’t ask my readers to offer their thoughts again — you can check out the comments here from my last introductory post.

If you like what you see, subscribe to my RSS feed here.

[For whatever reason I am getting a lot of attention these days and will be doing another introductory post for US News & World Report readers when the April issue goes online.]

http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/img/9/6/1/4/26764169.gif[Note to Rolling Stone: Next year, how about a different symbol for science/energy.]

[Note to my daughter Antonia in 10 years: No, you are not going to get Gossip Girl the complete edition on DVD for your birthday.]

11 Responses to Welcome Rolling Stone readers to “America’s fiercest climate-change activist-blogger”

1. atticus says:

Congratulations (from a regular reader of your blog) !

2. You keep hitting them outta the park, slugger. Congrats, and welcome to all the new readers.

Get informed. We need to change the world.

3. simp says:

Climate Progress ist my starting page. I think I chek it too often ;)

4. Russ says:

It’s good how this place gets wider and wider recognition. To the best of my knowledge it’s the best site on the climate crisis:

- The scientific coverage is comprehensive and systematic, geared to the intelligent generalist.

- The political coverage is top-notch.

- The excursions into rhetoric are both intrinsically interesting and useful for the struggle.

Good work, Joe.

5. Harrier says:

I’ve found this site invaluable in learning about climate change. It doesn’t sugar-coat the grim scientific findings, but it still manages to leave one with a sense that action can be taken and success found. It’s hit the right balance to make me extremely concerned, but not helplessly despairing.

Keep up the good work, Joe.

6. jorleh says:

Russ said it. I would say this place is the only real site on the climate crisis. Go on, people must know the best.

7. Dan B says:

Many well deserved congratulations!

There are more thorough sites for the science – Real Climate is one.

There are more concise sites for marketing, communication, rhetoric, critiques of MSM coverage, etc.

Reading this site is empowering but never with unrealistic expectations. We’ve got to do our part, in our own way, with the people we can influence every day. Thanks for providing us everything you know so we can put our creative stamp on it and be part the greatest experiment of humankind.

Will human civilization live up to its promise? Will we rise to the challenges and turn them into opportunities?

8. DavidCOG says:

Excellent. The message is spreading. It’s difficult to contain the truth – as the Deniers are all too aware of. Their campaign of ignorance and lies is crumbling – but it’s still important that we all do our own part in making sure the truth is spread amongst friends and family.

For anyone new to the conversation, I’d like to recommend http://greenfyre.wordpress.com/ as another informative and entertaining source of climate change issues.

9. Ross Hunter says:

This is the best news, in days that are often gloomy. It’s true, you’re the top source. I have your feed running in my sidebar, second down from Worldchanging (I have business links with them, but even so I’m going to move you to the top).

Joe I utterly admire what you do. The goal now is to act, and you help make this possible.

Second that recommendation of Greenfyre above btw, I follow his feed also – he spends time discrediting the denials of the science, which gives the layperson such as myself a much better handle on the public discourse.

:-)