A message from Van Jones: What you can do

By Joe Romm

"A message from Van Jones: What you can do"

Van Jones: building an The agenda of the people who smeared Van Jones is a matter of public record — see Fox News blurts out its agenda: “Now that Jones has resigned, we need to follow through”¦. First, stop cap-and-trade, which could send these groups trillions,” and then put “the whole corrupt ‘green jobs’ concept outside the bounds of the political mainstream.”

Now Van Jones has written a message to his friends and supporters laying out his agenda — a call to action, really:

Dear Friends:

My family and I want to thank everyone for the outpouring of love and support that we have received over the past week or so. I resigned from the White House on Sept. 6, and I have remained silent since then””in keeping with my promise not to be a distraction during a key moment in the Obama Presidency.

Over the past several days, however, many people have been asking how they can help and what they can do.

The main thing is this: please do everything you can to support both President Obama and the green jobs movement. Winning real change is ultimately the best response to these kinds of smear campaigns.

I ask everyone to:

1. Support President Obama’s efforts to fix our nation’s health care, energy and education systems. His victory last fall did not represent the “finish line” in the fight to renew America; his election was just the “starting line.” This autumn, it is time to make history again“”with victories on health care and clean energy.2. Sign up to support groups that are working for green jobs.

As others seek to vilify or marginalize the movement for a clean energy economy, the leading groups deserve increased support. This is the year to ensure that the clean energy transformation creates good job opportunities for everyone in America.

3. Spread the green jobs gospel. The ideas and ideals of the green jobs movement are grounded in fundamental American values””innovation, entrepreneurship, and equal opportunity. My true thoughts can be found in my book: The Green Collar Economy. Check it out from the library””or order a copy and share it with a friend. See for yourself why clean energy and green jobs are good for our country.

4. Stay connected and speak up for me via your favorite blogs (e.g., Huffington Post, Grist, Jack & Jill, etc.), on message boards and all of your favorite social networking platforms (Twitter, Facebook, etc.). Supporters have set up a couple of them, to help you stay engaged, including: I Stand With Van Jones and I Love Van Jones.

In due course, I will be offering my perspective on what has happened””including correcting the record about false charges. In the meantime, I must get my family affairs in order and sort through numerous offers and options.

I want to be clear that I have nothing but love and admiration for President Obama and the entire administration. White House staffers are there to serve and support the President, not the other way around. At this critical moment in history, I could not in good conscience ask my colleagues to expend precious time and energy defending or explaining my past. The White House needs all its hands on deck, fighting for the future.

Of course, some supporters actually think I will be more effective on the “outside.” Maybe so. But those ideas always remind me of that old canard about Winston Churchill. After he lost a hard-fought election, a friend told him: “Winston, this really is just a blessing in disguise.” Churchill quipped: “Damned good disguise.” I can certainly relate to that sentiment right now. :)

Nonetheless, we must keep moving forward. Let’s continue our work to make an America as good as its promise. These are historic times. And we have a lot more history to make.

Sincerely,

Van Jones

‹ Energy and Global Warming News for September 17: White House plays down talk of climate delay to 2010; India ready to issue non-binding emissions cut; Duke Energy CEO says I actually can see a future where coal is not in the equation in 2050.”

Obama Admin: The Twitternomics Of CBS Correspondent Declan McCullagh Is ‘Flat Out Wrong’ ›

7 Responses to A message from Van Jones: What you can do

1. Justin says:

what a dude

Wonderful letter. Thank you, Mr. Van Jones.

3. sdguy says:

Sorry. Typically love what you have to say, but on this issue, must disagree with him. I respect the fact that he so gloriously stepped away while big business ripped him apart, that is his option.

Just because he did the noble thing and resigned, it’s not right for him to tell others to throw themselves to the wolves, to be torn apart, lied about, dragged through the mud for absolutely no reason. It is noble of him to do that, but to ask others to it is pushing it.

It saddens me to read Jones describing the administrations commitment to serving and supporting the President. So sad seeing people that committed, knowing at their whim, the rightwing can attack a member of the administration, and Obama will a best turn his back, at worst, say please resign, I don’t have time for you. Right or wrong be damned.

The sooner Obama learns support is a two way street, the better off we will be. I am sick of seeing him bend over backwards to placate those out to destroy him, while turning his back on those committed to him and his causes.

The perversity is that the only chance there is of Obama listening or working with anyone is to oppose him. He has no time for those committed to him, they’re just tidbits of food to throw to the hungry wolves.

So before anyone gets too excited about overt support, keep in mind there are millions of dollars committed to destroying you, and a party leader that will step on you at the drop of a hat if he considers it politically expedient.

4. paulm says:

Using the market to tackle the climate crisis
    By James Hansen and Aaron Sanger

IT HAS become clear that the full changes America needs will not be solved by simply swapping White House tenants. In fact, this has been emphasized by the new tenant himself: we can’t stand on the sidelines and expect to realize the full change we need. And the change we most urgently need is the one that government is least able to tackle alone: the climate crisis. The US government has so far produced only a counterfeit proposal for responding to climate change. As fossil fuels’ day in the sun approaches dusk, the main sources driving continued greenhouse gas emissions are growing hungrier.

5. paulm says:

Witness the rise of Canada’s Tar Sands oil developments. The Tar Sands represent the end of easy oil. This is the hard stuff: oil mixed deep into a sandy soil. The process of extracting it, refining it, and shipping it adds up to an oil dirtier, more polluting, and more harmful to our climate than all the oil that has gotten us into this mess. Global-warming emissions from Tar Sands oil production are three to five times greater than from conventional crude production.

To squeeze just one barrel of oily sludge from four tons of Albertan soil in Canada, industry must destroy Boreal forests, drain wetlands, and consume natural gas that could otherwise generate electricity or heat homes. Then, because the sludge is permeated by toxic heavy metals, more natural gas must be used to give the sludge a hot bath. The result: three barrels of drinking water destroyed for every barrel of sludge washed, and lakes of toxic waste so large they can be seen from outer space.

In short, the Tar Sands represent the swapping of nature for Tolkein’s Mordor.

6. I had the good fortune of attending Sustainable Industries’ Economic Forum in Seattle today (9/17), with Paul Hawken as the featured speaker. Paul is a friend of Van Jones and, when asked for his opinion on the topic, spoke candidly about Jones’ resignation. In his response, Paul indicates that neither he nor Van Jones ever signed the 911-Truth petition. He and Jones both asked the organization to verify their signatures…as the organization could not do so, it withdrew both Jones’ and Hawken’s names from the petition.

See Hawken’s taped response here:

The question I have, then, is why Van Jones didn’t cry foul, turn the tables and soundly route the conservative smear campaign? Why the silence about this blatant mischaracterization of his politics and person?

7. ecostew says:

EU firms insist carbon-caps don’t compromise competitiveness: