Breaking: Climate Science Denier Wins Iowa Caucuses

By Joe Romm

"Breaking: Climate Science Denier Wins Iowa Caucuses"

It was a battle down to the wire in Iowa with many unexpected twists and turns.  But in the end, Climate Science Denier (CSD) edged out Denier of Climate Science (DCS) and Science of Climate Denier (SCD) in the first GOP contest for the right to compete against Climate Science Ignorer (CSI) in the general election.

CSD told a small crowd at the airport, “The citizens of Iowa have spoken and decided that I am uniquely qualified to deny climate science.  They’ve sent a message to the president that simply ignoring climate change isn’t going to cut it with the  American people, especially the job creators.  We need somebody who can deny the problem entirely so the job creators can feel better about pocketing most of the wealth generated in this country while ruining a livable climate for everyone else.”

The real story of the caucuses may be SCD, who came from nowhere just a week ago to come within a few points votes of victory.  SCD told a smaller crowd at the airport, “I am the only true denier in the race.  CSD has flip-flopped on this issue, like so many others.  Just last spring he said he actually believed in the findings of the overwhelming majority of climate scientists, that the climate is changing, humans are the main cause, and failing to act threatens modern human civilization.  What poppy-cock!  There isn’t an inch of difference between CSD and CSI.”

Meanwhile, SCD told a massive crowd at the airport, “We really need to get rid of the Federal Reserve.  As for climate change, that’s best left to individuals to address, even it exists, which I doubt.”  SCD said he did not think he would win the nomination but refused to say whether he would mount a third-party run, which many fear would split the denial vote and allow CSI to capture a second term, thereby threatening 4 more years of left-wing, socialist inaction on the gravest threat to humanity.

One-time front runner, GWSOCWNPBRDCS (Guy who sat on couch with Nancy Pelosi but really denies climate science), finished far behind the 3 leaders, but vowed to press on saying, “CSD has been lying to you and getting his millionaire buddies to fund ads attacking me.  He’s really someone who used to believe in climate science, whereas I was just pretending to so I could be more credible as a critic of cap-and-tax.  I’m a genius, don’t you forget, and so even my mistakes are unintentional works of brilliance.  I’m going to win this thing just as soon as I come up with a shorter, catchier acronym.”

Jon Huntsman, speaking to his wife and family in New Hampshire, said something about how we must teach our children to respect science and scientists, since they are the engine of economic growth and the only hope for humanity, but no reporter was there to record it.

In unrelated news, greenhouse gas emissions and concentrations reached record levels in 2011, as did extreme weather disasters.

NOTE:  Watch this space for any late breaking updates.

‹ Mother Nature is Just Getting Warmed Up: December Heat Records Exceed Cold By 80%, Annual Ratio Hits 2.8-to-1

January 4 News: Romney Squeaks Out Win in Iowa Over Fellow Climate Denier Rick Santorum ›

13 Responses to Breaking: Climate Science Denier Wins Iowa Caucuses

1. joyce says:

Joe, if there is an opening for a science reporter at the “Onion”, you’re a shoe-in.
    Hilarious.

2. Artful Dodger says:

Dammit Joe, you made me sneeze coffee out my nose ;^) haha, good one!

3. Anne says:

There’s definitely stand-up — or maybe sit-down — comedy somewhere in your future. Comedy Central, where are you?

4. fj says:

sorry, really doesn’t work

those chimps are way too smart to be caucus people & followers

but, media’s really hilarious covering this stuff with a straight face

5. BARBARA BECK says:

OH JOE, YOU MADE LEMON-AID OUTTA THOSE LEMONS TONIGHT DIDN’T YA!

6. I would say CSU rather than CSI for the incumbent – Climate Science Underachiever.

This blog has pointed out many of the significant things accomplished by the current administration – in the face of utterly outrageous behavior by the powerful opposition, while the mainstream media sits by and fiddles – in general, at best.

Yes, of course what the CSU has achieved is dangerously, badly insufficient.

And yes, of course, the CSU has not publicly gone all-in to commit leadership to the cardinal challenge of our times. I see how you can argue that is climate science ignoring. I feel that way too sometimes.

I do see the argument that the science is, therefore, being ignored. Yet the _problem_ isn’t quite being ignored – it’s just not being taken as seriously as the science does demand.

Is there a way we can help that change?

I wish, oh how I do wish, that it were humor.

8. Yes, that was good for a chuckle. If only those candidates weren’t such chuckle heads!

9. Anne van der Bom says:

David Benson: +1

10. Lazarus says:

Yep, you got me. When I read the headline I was wondering how could there have been anyone else.

11. EDpeak says:

And yes I a realize Hayes’ was a very different Republican party, that’s not the comparison I was making..Obama’s policies are in many the right of what was Republican policies 20-40 years ago..

12. Charles Zeller says:

5 star gallows humor!

13. Tom King says:

Heart Breaking Funny.

On a serious note. Since climate change now impacts all other world events including economics, war, travel, politics, agriculture, etc., I am now looking for a news organization that covers world events from a climate perspective. If Climate Progress wished to add a biz section, I’d be glad to read it.