"Bush: Forget Everything I Said About Homeland Security"
When asked yesterday if Americans should be worried about our government’s response to a future disaster or terrorist attack, President Bush admitted, “Katrina exposed serious problems in our response capability at all levels of government.”
That’s interesting, considering Bush has spent the past couple years telling Americans how safe and secure his leadership has made the country:
- “Since September the 11th, we’ve followed a clear strategy to defeat the terrorists and protect our people. First, we are defending the homeland. We’ve strengthened our intelligence capabilities; we’ve trained more than 800,000 first responders; we have taken critical steps to protect our cities and borders and infrastructure.” [8/24/05]
– “We’re making progress in defending the homeland.” [8/3/05]
– “Of course, we’re doing everything we can to protect America. I wake up every day thinking about how best to protect America. That’s my job.” [10/1/04]
– “In the United States, where the war begun, we will continue our vital work to protecting American people, by protecting our ports and borders and safeguarding infrastructure, preparing for the worst. I mentioned the first responders. I can’t tell you how pleased I am with the coordination now between the federal government, the state government, and local governments for preparing our homeland.” [1/22/04]
- “We have a comprehensive strategy in place; we’re improving our homeland security and intelligence.” [7/30/05]
– “I’ll continue to act to keep our people safe from harm and our future bright.” [6/18/05]
– “We have been relentless, and we will continue to be relentless in our mission to secure the people of this country.” [3/3/05]
– “We will continue our historic investments in homeland security to match the threats facing our country.” [3/3/05]
– “We’ve strengthened protections for the homeland.” [10/31/04]
– “We will continue to use all our nation’s assets to protect the American people. We will wage a comprehensive strategy to protect you.” [10/31/04]
– “We’ve already done a lot. Take a good look at what has taken place since 9/11, and I think you’ll be — as a citizen, concerned about your own safety, I think you’ll be pleased.”
– “We’re taking unprecedented measures to protect the American people here at home.” [3/2/04]
It seems those statements are now inoperative.