"National Security Brief: Iran Supplying Syria Through Iraq"
– Reuters reports that Iran has been using civilian aircraft to fly personnel and large quantities of weapons across Iraqi airspace to Syria to aid President Bashar al-Assad in his attempt to crush an 18-month uprising against his government.
– Sen. John Kerry (D-MA) said yesterday that aid to Iraq might be contingent on cutting off the supply flights from Iran to Syria.
– Undersecretary of Defense Jim Miller said President Obama’s so-called “reset” with Russia worked in getting Russian cooperation on Iran and Afghanistan.
– Rep. Adam Smith (D-WA) in a letter told the Republican House Armed Services Committee chairman that “we should be ardently working to reach solutions, rather than allowing ourselves to repeatedly bemoan the problem or kick the can down the road for another year or two.”
– The New York Times reports: “Saeed Jalili, Iran’s top negotiator in talks with the big powers over his country’s disputed uranium enrichment program, called negotiations with Catherine Ashton, his counterpart, “constructive and helpful.”