National Security Brief: 25 Guantanamo Detainees Quit Hunger Strike

Posted on

"National Security Brief: 25 Guantanamo Detainees Quit Hunger Strike"

(Credit: AP)

The U.S. military said on Monday that 81 detainees at Guantanamo Bay are no longer on hunger strike, down from the peak of 106 last week before the start of Ramadan last week. However the number of those being force-fed has remained unchanged at 45.

Those 45 detainees on the so-called “enteral feed list” are given a choice, either drink a nutritional supplement voluntarily or get force-fed through a tube. A military spokesperson said some detainees on the list choose the forced tube feeding, a process that was recently documented by American actor and hip-hop artist Mos Def.

It’s unclear why the 25 detainees have quit their hunger strike. The military has suggested that it’s because they’ve allowed those who quit the protest to return to communal living, but according to the Miami Herald, a Gitmo spokesperson “described a Ramadan break-fast meal of lamb and rice as an apparent turning point at the prison.”

David Remes, an attorney representing a number of detainees on hunger strike said last week that it’s unclear why the detainees have decided to quit their protest.

“It could either mean that the men have some sense that the authorities are relenting and moving in the right direction,” he told ThinkProgress. “Or it could be that the military is playing with the numbers through manipulation of the definition of a hunger striker; or it could mean that the military has succeeded in breaking the will of some of the men, you just can’t tell by looking at the bare numbers.”

“There are still other ways to read the numbers,” he added in an email to the New York Times. “Until we speak with our clients, we can only speculate.”

In other news:

  • The Wall Street Journal reports: The Obama administration is preparing to communicate to Iran’s president-elect its desire to hold direct negotiations in the coming weeks over Tehran’s nuclear program, senior U.S. officials said.
  • Foreign Policy reports: For decades, a so-called anti-propaganda law prevented the U.S. government’s mammoth broadcasting arm from delivering programming to American audiences. But on July 2, that came silently to an end with the implementation of a new reform passed in January. The result: an unleashing of thousands of hours per week of government-funded radio and TV programs for domestic U.S. consumption in a reform initially criticized as a green light for U.S. domestic propaganda efforts.
  • Reuters reports: A confidential report by U.N. monitors accuses Kenyan soldiers in the African Union peacekeeping force in Somalia of facilitating illegal charcoal exports from the port city of Kismayu, a business that generates millions of dollars a year for Islamic militants seeking to topple the government.
  • The Hill reported on Saturday: Journalist Glenn Greenwald says that Edward Snowden, the National Security Agency leaker, poses more of a threat to the U.S. than anyone in the country’s history.
  • The New York Times reports: [T]he [Obama] administration’s plans to use the C.I.A. to covertly train and arm the rebels could take months to have any impact on a chaotic battlefield. Many officials believe the assistance is unlikely to bolster the rebellion enough to push President Bashar al-Assad of Syria to the negotiating table.
  • « »

    By clicking and submitting a comment I acknowledge the ThinkProgress Privacy Policy and agree to the ThinkProgress Terms of Use. I understand that my comments are also being governed by Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, or Hotmail’s Terms of Use and Privacy Policies as applicable, which can be found here.