Police Arrest New England Patriots Tight End Aaron Hernandez

New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez was arrested at his home in Massachusetts Wednesday morning, according to news reports from ESPN’s Mike and Mike radio show and the NFL Network. It isn’t clear yet what charges Hernandez will face.

Hernandez has been the subject of an investigation into the death of 27-year-old Odin Lloyd, whose body was found near Hernandez’ home last week. Lloyd died from multiple gunshot wounds, according to police reports, and his death was ruled a homicide.

Police searched both Hernandez’ home in Attleborough, Massachusetts and the area around it, including a pond and a wooded area, for evidence. ABC News reported last week that Hernandez destroyed his home security system and delivered his cell phone to police “in pieces.” There were also reports over the weekend that police had obtained a warrant for Hernandez’ arrest, but his attorney released a statement Tuesday saying that no such warrant existed.

A judge sealed documents related to Lloyd’s death and the investigation Monday night.

Massachusetts State Police said today that they will not release “the charge against Hernandez until it is presented to the court.” He will be arraigned later today in Attleborough District Court.


Barely an hour after the arrest, the Patriots announced that they have released Hernandez from their roster. Hernandez signed a 5-year, $40 million contract with the franchise last August.

“A young man was murdered last week and we extend our sympathies to the family and friends who mourn his loss,” the Patriots said in a statement. “Words cannot express the disappointment we feel knowing that one of our players was arrested as a result of this investigation. We realize that law enforcement investigations into this matter are ongoing. We support their efforts and respect the process. At this time, we believe this transaction is simply the right thing to do.”

Share Update

Hernandez has been charged with the murder of Odin Lloyd and five separate gun-related charges at an arraignment hearing this afternoon.

Share Update

(Picture credit: Dov Kleiman)