"The Route North"
For the long drive, I’ve tried to assemble a playlist of state-appropriate songs that take us from DC to Maine as follows:
1. For Washington, DC it’s the Postal Service “The District Sleeps Alone Tonight.”
2. For Maryland, it’s REM “(Don’t Go Back to) Rockville.”
3. Then Delaware, Promise Ring “Is This Thing On?”
4. New Jersey is Less Than Jake “Never Going Back to New Jersey.”
5. I know a million New York songs, but since the route just involves a quick jaunt across the Cross Bronx Expressway I’m going with Boogie Down Productions, “South Bronx.”
6. I think from the title that Rainer Maria’s “CT Catholic” is Connecticut, though the only specific place referenced is the BQE in New York. But I guess that’s how you’d get from Williamsburg to Connecticut.
7. Next up, The Get-Up Kids “Mass Pike.”
8. There don’t seem to be any real songs about New Hampshire, but the “Granite State of Mind” parody is hilarious.
9. John Linnel’s “Maine” is pretty great.
This ended up being a more emo list than I’d intended. Peppy bands should write more songs about locations in the Northeast.