ThinkProgress has an immediate opening for an Associate Editor to help guide our growing team of investigative reporters. This position will work directly with the team’s Senior Editor and reporters assigning stories, working on pitches, writing stories, setting deadlines, copy editing, and crafting headlines. The ideal candidate will have a strong news sensibility.
- Pitch, report, write, and/or edit news stories for ThinkProgress.
- Assist the Senior Editor in fielding pitches and making edits to investigative and enterprise reporting.
- Help monitor news and assign stories to reporters.
- Help the Senior Editor and the Editor in Chief develop newsroom policies and plans for more ambitious coverage.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- At least two years of professional experience working in news writing.
- Strong writing, editing, and fact-checking skills; journalistic and ethical judgment; attention to detail and care for factual accuracy.
- An understanding of and passion for progressive policy and politics and how they intersect with the news.
Candidates who would excel in this position:
- Eagerly read good investigative and enterprise reporting.
- Feel a sense of satisfaction in helping another writer get their story published.
- Follow the news closely.
- Pitch great stories and know how to take a story idea from good to great.
- Excel when working with a team.
This position is not for candidates who:
- Struggle to manage their own time, stay organized, or remain focused on one thing at a time.
- Need an editor to feed them ideas.
- Are unsure if journalism is the right career.
- Gloss over details or glaze over when processing a litany of facts.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by WGA East.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to Emily Hazzard at email@example.com. Please reference the exact title of the job in the subject line. No phone calls, please.