Do you want to join the ThinkProgress team? Get in touch! We’re currently hiring for the following positions:
Reports to: Executive Director, Center for American Progress Action Fund
Department: Communications, ThinkProgress
Position classification: Exempt, full-time
ThinkProgress has an immediate opening for an Editor-in-Chief to oversee a nonprofit newsroom of about 40 staff producing trustworthy journalism from a progressive perspective.
The Editor-in-Chief will be responsible for spearheading the site’s coverage strategy and guiding the newsroom to execute impactful work, with a particular eye toward holding the Trump administration accountable on issues of concern to progressive Americans. As the newsroom leader, the Editor-in-Chief will also be charged with fostering a strong and respectful organizational culture that is consistent with the CAP Action mission.
Alongside a team of Senior Editors, the Editor-in-Chief will manage ThinkProgress staff executing a range of on-the-ground, rapid-response, and enterprise projects. This role requires both a fast-twitch enthusiasm for breaking news and an ambitious long-term vision for the future of ThinkProgress coverage in a constantly changing media landscape.
Ideal candidates will have a sophisticated understanding of the online political landscape; a sharp eye for opportunities to add value to major national stories; a thoughtful approach to leading a team; and an appetite to take on new challenges in a fast-paced, competitive industry.
This position is based in Washington, D.C.
- Manage newsroom policies, guide coverage strategy, and define editorial vision.
- Serve as the public face of ThinkProgress and the primary representative of its brand.
- Manage a team of Senior Editors overseeing reporters across multiple beats.
- Work closely with ThinkProgress editorial staff to hone story ideas, develop new angles on political stories, and guide major reporting initiatives.
- Make strategic decisions about ThinkProgress staffing and hiring.
- Oversee the newsroom’s business strategy to spearhead new revenue initiatives and ensure ThinkProgress remains on solid financial footing into the future.
- Serve as a member of the CAP Action Fund Executive team.
- Communicate with the Executive Director of CAP Action Fund to align broad strategic mission while maintaining ThinkProgress’ editorial independence.
Requirements and qualifications:
- A deep understanding of the role ThinkProgress currently occupies in the online media landscape, and a compelling vision for guiding ThinkProgress’ mission into the future.
- The editorial skills to successfully advance ThinkProgress’ work, including a savvy instinct for what makes an impactful story and how to execute it.
- The management skills to oversee a diverse team of editors and reporters.
- The communication skills to clearly articulate both big-picture editorial strategy and daily coverage priorities.
- A proven ability to break news and shape the national political conversation.
Candidates who would excel in this position:
- Feel deeply passionate about furthering ThinkProgress’ editorial goals.
- Understand how to guide a team to accomplish a shared mission.
- Have confidence in their leadership skills, including the ability to balance competing priorities and make decisive calls.
- Think deeply about the changing online media landscape and enjoy strategizing about how best to take advantage of emerging trends.
- Excel at generating original ideas that stick out in a crowded media environment.
This position is not for candidates who:
- Lack experience working in a newsroom.
- Struggle with management responsibilities and communication skills.
- Become easily overwhelmed in stressful, fast-paced situations.
- Are uninterested in the overarching mission of CAP and CAP Action.
- Want a 9 to 5 job.
Please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the job title in the subject line of your email. Candidates who move through the application process will eventually need to submit their materials to the Center for American Progress’ online application portal.