UPDATE: The climate scientists on the first panel did not do a good job of 1) stopping Lindzen from hogging the mike and 2) bluntly and simply debunking the nonsense from him and Rohrbacher.
It was a dreadful idea for the Dems to let the Republicans invite Lindzen and Michaels, particularly if they are not given witnesses on each panel in the new Congress.
Lindzen’s cloud negative-feedback ‘theory’ has been utterly debunked (see Science: “Clouds Appear to Be Big, Bad Player in Global Warming” “” an amplifying feedback (sorry Lindzen and fellow deniers).
Positive feedbacks clearly dominate in observations of real world (and paleoclimate data):
- The defrosting of the permafrost
- The drying of the Northern peatlands (bogs, moors, and mires).
- The destruction of the tropical wetlands
- Decelerating growth in tropical forest trees “” thanks to accelerating carbon dioxide
- Wildfires and Climate-Driven forest destruction by pests
- The desertification-global warming feedback
- The saturation of the ocean carbon sink