Advertisement

Gavin McInnes is having a really bad Monday

McInnes was banned from YouTube this week, days after being dropped by Blaze Media.

YouTube has banned Proud Boys founder Gavin McInnes' profile and channel, days after he was booted from his gig at the newly formed Blaze Media. (Photo credit: Stephanie Keith/Getty Images)
YouTube has banned Proud Boys founder Gavin McInnes' profile and channel, days after he was booted from his gig at the newly formed Blaze Media. (Photo credit: Stephanie Keith/Getty Images)

Proud Boys founder Gavin McInnes is on a roll. A really bad one.

On Monday, YouTube banned both McInnes’ profile and channel, which had amassed more than 220,000 subscribers, the Daily Beast reported. McInnes, who had repeatedly used his shows to perpetuate misogyny, anti-Semitism and glorification of violence, was reportedly banned for “multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement.”

McInnes had also suffered a blow over the weekend when newly formed conservative outlet Blaze Media said it would not be hosting McInnes’ show.

“Blaze Media no longer has a relationship with Gavin McInnes,” the company tweeted. “Per company policy, [we] cannot comment on personnel matters.”

Advertisement

The outlet, the offspring of a merger between former Fox News pundit Glenn Beck’s The Blaze and Conservative Review TV (CRTV), first announced McInnes’ show last week Monday.

“Gavin McInnes is a comedian and provocateur,” Blaze Media’s co-president Gaston Mooney told CNN at the time. “[He] is one of the many varied voices and viewpoints on Blaze Media platforms.”

The YouTube deplatforming and cancellation of his Blaze Media show leave McInnes with very few mainstream websites to which he can flee. He was banned from Facebook and Instagram in October for violating the platforms’ hate group policies. Twitter also banned McInnes and several Proud Boys accounts prior to the Unite the Right anniversary rally in Washington, D.C. in August. The company also said that the accounts violated Twitter’s policies concerning violent extremist groups.

McInnes’ ban has incensed the far-right, with the conspiracy-friendly Gateway Pundit equating it to a “modern day book burning.”

Earlier this year, McInnes’ Proud Boys — a far right group made up mostly of men, that advocates political violence, sexism, and white nationalism — were gaining a fair amount of popularity, garnering viral fame from regular clashes with counter-protesters. The Proud Boys have also associated with a number of fringe Republican figures, notably longtime political consultant and former Trump surrogate Roger Stone.

Advertisement

The group’s growing popularity hit a snag in mid-October, however, when a number of Proud Boys were filmed brutally beating a group of counter protesters outside the Metropolitan Republican Club in New York City. In response, the NYPD charged eight Proud Boys with assault and rioting. McInnes helped several surrender to the police in late November, before promptly quitting the Proud Boys himself.

“I’m told by my legal team and law enforcement that this gesture could help alleviate their sentencing,” he said. “At the very least, this will show jurors they are not dealing with a gang and there is no head of operations.”