Welcome to Justiceline, ThinkProgress Justice’s morning round-up of the latest legal news and developments. Remember to follow us on Twitter at @TPJustice.
- A Wisconsin state judge plans to appoint a special prosecutor to handle the case of Justice David Prosser, who allegedly choked fellow Justice Ann Walsh Bradley during a discussion about whether to uphold Gov. Scott Walker’s (R) anti-worker law.
- Balanced budget amendments aren’t just a terrible idea, they also don’t work very well.
- Nevertheless, Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-MO) is touting her support for such an amendment, although she is supporting Sen. Mark Udall’s (D-CO) slightly less awful version.
- White teens in Mississippi committed a brutal hate crime against an African-American man.
- A federal magistrate judge held that police cannot obtain a warrant to require your cell phone company to tell them your location based on data received from your phone.