Welcome to Justiceline, ThinkProgress Justice’s morning round-up of the latest legal news and developments. Remember to follow us on Twitter at @TPJustice
- A Washington state judge struck down a recently enacted ballot initiative that requires a two-thirds majority of the legislature to raise taxes. A similar initiative turned California’s budget into a trainwreck after it became law.
- House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) predicts the Affordable Care Act will be upheld 6–3.
- A federal judge in Indiana will decide if it is constitutional to bar sex offenders from Facebook.
- Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett (R) tries to give a judgeship to his good friend and chief of staff.
- Slate opens a series on possible amendments to the Constitution with some criminal justice proposals, including this one: “Prosecutors may not seek higher penalties, nor may judges impose higher penalties, when defendants exercise their right to a jury trial.”