Welcome to Justiceline, ThinkProgress Justice’s morning round-up of the latest legal news and developments. Remember to follow us on Twitter at @TPJustice
- The Department of Justice will file a lawsuit against anti-immigrant Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio alleging widespread violations of the Constitution and federal law, especially concerning maltreatment of Latinos.
- A federal court decision in Maine makes it easier for mentally ill persons who are briefly but involuntarily committed to a psychiatric hospital to obtain firearms.
- Maine State Senate Cynthia Dill (D) demonstrates that Republican U.S. Senate candidates do not have a monopoly on terrible judicial policy ideas — no word yet on whether she agrees with Texas Republican candidate Ted Cruz that a grand United Nations/George Soros conspiracy is coming to take away the game of golf.
- Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli wants to eliminate Republican primary voters’ ability to choose their own gubernatorial candidate and instead have the candidate selected by party elites at a convention.
- And, finally, if there is anyone out there who is not yet familiar with either the history of bourbon whiskey or how absolutely delightful Sixth Circuit Judge Boyce Martin is, read this opinion.