McCain and Lieberman Express Support For Sending More Troops to Iraq

Opposition to the Iraq war was the dominant factor in this week’s election. NBC’s Meet the Press invited Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) and Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-CT) to discuss the issue. Both McCain and Lieberman expressed support for sending more troops to Iraq. Watch it:


Only 8 percent of Americans support sending more troops to Iraq. The other 92 percent were not represented this week on Meet the Press.

Digg It!


Full transcript:

McCAIN: The question is, is what’s the solution? And I believe that a withdrawal or a date for withdrawal will lead to chaos in the region, and most military expercent think the same thing. I believe that there are a lot of things that we can do to salvage this, but they all require the presence of additional troops.

+++ RUSSERT: Should we send more troops?  LIEBERMAN: I think we have to be open to that as a way to succeed, to achieve a free and independent Iraq, which would be an extraordinary accomplishment.