Police are still looking for two suspects who they believe fired guns into a crowd at a shopping mall in New Orleans Saturday night. Two people died at the scene and seven more were taken to the hospital, one with life-threatening injuries.
The shooters were wearing hoodies, New Orleans police superintendent Michael Harrison told reporters, and used a handgun and a long gun to fire into the crowd. The suspects fled the scene on foot and are still at large.
NOPD Chief says 2 individuals in hooded sweatshirt opened fire on crowd on South Claiborne Avenue. 1 with a long gun, 1 with a handgun. 'Appeared to have fired indiscriminately'
— Ramon Antonio Vargas (@RVargasAdvocate) July 29, 2018
Police have not yet released victims’ names. Local news reports describe a “chaotic” scene with bodies lying uncovered behind police tape as bystanders screamed for help.
The Advocate reports via a source the area had been the site of street gang activity in the past.
“There is no place in New Orleans for this kind of violence,” New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell said in a statement.
There is no place in New Orleans for this kind of violence. I speak for everyone in our City when I say we are disgusted, we are infuriated, & we have had more than enough. Three more lives — gone. It has to end. It’s unacceptable anywhere. pic.twitter.com/WqUWcf75V3
— Mayor LaToya Cantrell (@mayorcantrell) July 29, 2018
This story will update as news develops.