ThinkProgress has an immediate opening for a Reporter to cover a wide range of topics in politics and policy, including stories related to the newsroom’s effort to hold the Trump administration accountable.
With guidance from a Senior Editor and an Associate Editor, this Reporter will work with a team of other writers to produce rapid response pieces for ThinkProgress on a daily basis. The ideal candidate will have a sharp political news sense, a fast-twitch enthusiasm for breaking news, and the drive to help distinguish ThinkProgress’ coverage in a challenging news environment.
- Work with a team of reporters to follow major developments in political news.
- Pitch and write daily stories for ThinkProgress.
- Identify fresh angles on stories dominating the mainstream media.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- An ability to write quickly, clearly, and for the ThinkProgress audience.
- A strong news sensibility.
- A commitment to ThinkProgress’ mission of delivering progressive accountability journalism.
Candidates who would excel in this position:
- Are self-motivated but work well with others.
- Can quickly synthesize information to cover a broad range of topics.
- Are equally comfortable pitching their own ideas and taking assignments.
- Are eager to learn new skills and engage in new areas of expertise.
- Care about the news.
This position is not for candidates who:
- Struggle to write on a deadline.
- Are more interested in sticking to specific topic areas than following the political news cycle.
- Have difficulty adapting to unexpected breaking news events.
- Are not familiar with the online news landscape.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by WGA East.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to Judd Legum at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference the exact title of the job in the subject line. No phone calls, please.