ThinkProgress has an immediate opening for a Senior Editor to help shape the site’s coverage strategy as it works to hold the Trump administration accountable in a constantly changing media landscape. The Senior Editor will play a crucial role in fulfilling ThinkProgress’ mission of producing trustworthy journalism with a progressive worldview.
Working with a management team, the Senior Editor will oversee a team of reporters executing a range of on-the-ground, rapid-response, and enterprise projects. This role requires both a fast-twitch enthusiasm for breaking news and an ambitious long-term vision for the future of ThinkProgress coverage. Ideal candidates will have a sharp eye for internet news; a deep understanding of how to shape a compelling story; a thoughtful approach to leading a team; and the self-motivation to experiment in a fast-paced industry.
- Manage a team of reporters working across multiple beats.
- Work closely with writers to hone story ideas and develop new angles on major political stories.
- Edit multiple pieces a day — sometimes on tight deadlines.
- Work in consultation with the site’s leadership team to manage our newsroom policies, guide our coverage strategy, and define our editorial vision.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- At least four years of experience working in media.
- The management skills to oversee a diverse team of reporters.
- Strong familiarity with both progressive policy and writing for the internet.
- An instinct for what makes a good story and how to execute it.
- The big-picture editorial judgment to successfully advance ThinkProgress’ mission.
- The ability to communicate complex ideas effectively, both to reporters and to a general audience.
Candidates who would excel in this position:
- Have a sharp political news sense and a good grasp of ThinkProgress’ editorial goals.
- Feel a sense of satisfaction in working with writers to get their stories published.
- Know how to take a story idea from good to great.
This position is not for candidates who:
- Struggle to manage their own time, stay organized, or balance multiple projects at once.
- Struggle with management responsibilities or communication skills.
- Would rather work as a reporter than as a behind-the-scenes editor.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to Tara Culp-Ressler at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference the exact title of the job in the subject line. No phone calls, please.