In week three, the Trump administration kept lying. Administration officials continued to dramatically overstate crime rates, defend their claims of voter fraud without providing proof, and delegitimize resistance by calling protesters “professional.”
Watch all 19 lies in the video above. And check out the new installment of our new weekly series, “This Week in Trump’s America,” to get a comprehensive roundup of Trump’s third week in office.
FRIDAY FEB. 3
1. TRUMP: I have so many people, friends of mine that have nice business, they can’t borrow money. They just can’t get any money because the banks just wont let them borrow because of the rules and regulations of Dodd FrankNYT: Trump Moves to Roll Back Obama-Era Financial Regulations
2. TRUMP:I learned a lot about the automobile business. I thought I knew a lot but they are being so stymied, so restricted with regulation and so many other reasons. They’re pouring back into the country already.CNN:Trump scores PR win against automakers, but can he take credit for the jobs?
3. TRUMP: The January employment report shows that the private sector added 237,000 jobs last month. A lot of that has to do with the spirit our country now has.BUSINESS INSIDER: Trump can’t take credit for Friday’s jobs report
SUNDAY, FEB. 5
4. TRUMP: As you know I’m very much opposed to Sanctuary cities, they breed crimeCHICAGO TRIBUNE: Trump says sanctuary cities are hotbeds of crime. Data says the opposite.
5. TRUMP: When you see illegals, people that are not citizens, and they’re on the registration roles. Look Bill, we can be babies, but you take a look at the registration, you have illegals, you have dead people, you have this. It’s really a bad situation.CNN: President Trump doesn’t draw the distinction between problems with voter registration and voter fraud. They’re might be voter registration fraud, where somebody is registered in a couple of different places as is Mr. Trump’s own senior staff. But dead people, it’s very hard for dead people to vote.
6. VP PENCE: The law could not be more clear here John, not only his constitutional authority to conduct foreign policy for this country but clear statutory authority in federal law today gives the president the ability to determine who is given access to this country and who is notTWEET: Pence: Calls to ban Muslims from entering the U.S. are offensive and unconstitutional.
MONDAY, FEB. 6
7. Spicer: Protesting has become a profession now, they have every right to do that, don’t get me wrong but I think that we need to call it what it is, it’s not these organic uprisings that we’ve seen through the last several decades, you know the tea party was a very organic movement, this has become a very paid astroturf type movement.MSNBC: There’s no evidence to support that claim of course, but the lack of evidence doesn’t seem to much matter to the Trump administration.
8. TRUMP: I have already saved more than 700 million dollars when I got involved in the negotiation on the F35.POLITICO: How Trump got credit for slashing price of fighter jet when he didn’t
9. TRUMP: Radical Islamic terrorists are determined to strike our homeland, as they did on 911, as they did in Boston to Orlando, to San Bernardino. All over Europe, it’s happening. It’s gotten to a point where it’s not even being reported.POLITIFACT:Donald Trump wrong that media is not reporting on terrorism any more
10. FOX: Let’s talk about Iran, your assessment?TRUMP: We’ve already given them billions and billions, probably 150 billion dollarsPOLITIFACT:No Donald Trump, we are not giving Iran $150 billion for ‘nothing’
11. Spicer: That story is riddled with inaccuracies and lies, they owe the president an apology for the way that that thing was, there was just literally blatant factual errors.NYT: We’ve asked him to talk about what these factual inaccuracies are. We’ve asked others in the White House to tell us what they’re talking about, we have not heard back.
TUESDAY, FEB. 7
12. TRUMP: The murder rate in this country is the highest it’s been in 47 years, right? Did you know that? 47 years.CNN: The murder rate is not at the highest rate it’s been in 47 years, it spiked a little, it went up a little, but it’s still much much lower
13. REPORTER: CNN reportedly declined to interview Kellyanne Conway on Sunday because of the, questions about her credibilitySpicer: my understanding is they retracted thatTWEET: @KellyannePolls was offered to SOTU on Sunday by the White House. We passed. Those are the facts.
14. TRUMP: As you know I approved two pipelines that were stuck in limbo forever, I don’t even think it was controversial.LOS ANGELES TIMES: Thousand turn our in downtown L.A. to protests Trump’s orders on Keystone, Dakota pipelines
15. TRUMP: In the Keystone case we have potentially 32,000 jobs almost immediatelyINDEPENDENT:Keystone XL pipeline will create 35 permanent jobs
WEDNESDAY FEB. 8
16. MSNBC: Nordstrom has come out and said this was not a political decision it was a business decision. Ivanka Trump as you know, has said she has divorced herself, separated herself from her business, so how is she being treated unfairly?Spicer: This is a direct attack on his policies and her name. So that, there is clearly an attempt for him to stand up to her because she is being maligned because they have a problem with his policies.MSNBC: Nordstrom insisted it has nothing to do with politics, they say this was a business decision, that the clothing line was not performing.
17. Spicer: Within the seven countries that we’ve talked about, there’s at least 20 some odd people that in the last few years have come into this country and been convicted of or charged with acts of terrorismNEWSWEEK:Where do terrorists come from? Not the nations named in Trump ban
18. Spicer: I would respectfully disagree with her assessment of Senator Sessions then and now. His record on civil voting rights I think is outstandingMSNBC: When Reagan appointed him for a judgeship in the 80’s, even republicans in the senate back then were persuaded that Jeff Sessions’s record on civil rights and racism was too odious to let him have a seat on the federal bench.
THURSDAY FEB. 8
19. Spicer: The stuff that the president is doing is almost entirely highly applauded by both sides of the aisle TRUMP: Forget that, forget all of that.